Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Amy and the no-good, horrible, very bad day

Yesterday was my birthday. It was not a good day. I will go into the specifics of why the morning went badly later tonight when I explain what I found out about clinicals for this semester. I work for a home health agency as an LPN, providing care to pediatric patients. I had this patient that I worked with every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night (8p-6a) from late October until late December. He recently returned home from a hospital stay and needed care again. My company is a bit um, shall we say unorganized at the moment? The local office (the main office is a few hours away) had 3 employees. Two quit effective Monday. One was the one who does all the payroll and scheduling. The other was the main boss. You can see how this might create a bit of confusion around the office. So, I call in on Monday to see what my hours for this week will be. I am told my former client is back in town and needing care. We are short-staffed. What's new? Can I possibly work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in addition to my regular Fri/Sat/Sun? Oh, and they are 12 hour shifts instead of the regular 10. *Sigh* This didn't sound like fun, but I needed the money, so I agreed. So, yesterday morning (my birthday, remember?) I go to class until noon, go home, get a bit of a nap and go into work at 8. He was grumpy and uncooperative to say the least. It didn't matter what I did or said, it was W-R-O-N-G. There was yelling, cussing, and throwing of objects, none of which was done by me. Pinky swear. I tried to talk to him about it, thinking maybe he'd had a bad day and was taking it out on me. No dice. I'm not proud of this but after I tried to talk to him about effective forms of interpersonal communication (aka, please don't yell at me, if you'd like me to do things differently you could try asking me), I played the "this is my birthday you ingrateful little twit" card. Not exact words. I did not call him a twit. Or any other name other than his given name. Like my experience with most men, this did not get me anywhere. Eventually the conversation ceased because he didn't want to be a part of it anymore. We co-existed in silence for about 5 minutes, after which time he smiled at me and asked me for the TV remote. Sitcom writers could not have scripted it any more stereotypically. So, when I reported off to his mother today I told her I'm not coming back. Good luck getting someone else for the next 5 nights, but it won't be me. While they pay a good wage, it's not THAT good. So, I called the office and told her the same thing. They both took it fairly well. In fact, it would have been nice if either one had tried to convince me to stay. Make me think they liked me. So, I know I quit working in his house, but I don't know for sure if I quit the overall job. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com